HORIZONTAL STATIONARY WORKING STEAM ENGINE
This is the horizontal sister to our #4 Engine. Both engines were sold as casting kits by the Charles A. Strelinger Co. of Detroit, MI. Both were rated at 1/4 H.P. Wow! Our second full size engine! You could build either one or both!
Kit comes complete with 15 cast iron and bronze castings, all required hardware, gasket material, bar stock and complete working drawings. Drip feed oilers not included but are available in our steam accessories section.
- Bore 1-1/2"
- Stroke 2-1/2"
- Double Acting
- Height: 7-1/2"
- Length: 18"
- Width: 8"
- Flywheel Dia: 6-7/8"
Hi Guys. Now July 2020. Would you be able to advise on shipping to New Zealand now that Air Freight has taken such a hard hit? I have seen a build video and like the quality of the castings, just like the look of the "Sand Casting" finish. Good luck for the rest of 2020. Interesting times!
This was my first casting kit and first steam engine. The castings were great to machine. I found the prints and instructions to be all they could be to finish a running engine. I always questioned why there were a lot of smaller engines available but not many large ones. Now I see why. Large engines take up a lot of shelf space, can get quite heavy and use a LOT of air to run. Having said that I don't think I would care to build a small one.
Hello i want to buy this kit Can give me some information Whath pressure steam work ? How many tour doing shaft i want put together one wind Generator Whath boiler used for power steam this model ? Thanks
Iam building this engine and I cna not believe the quality of the casting . The crank can be a challenge its in 5 pieces that need tobe pressed together. Iam not done yet but so far so good its not easy but that part of the fun at my age I need a challenge.
Hi I chose this engine as my first kit. I did most of the work on a 7x12 lathe. The flywheel casting is too big for a lathe this size. I had to farm the flywheel out to have the shaft bore doen and the outside cut down to size. Once the outside was done I could mount the wheel on my face plate and do more cuts to finish. The crank was the next most difficult for me. I mounted both sides of the crank throws together on the face plate to ensure the throws matched. The bed is next and required a lot of hand filing to get in useable condition. The bearings I worked in with a blank shaft and grinding compound. It would have been easier on the apropriate machines. Don't let the lack of tools stop you from starting this project. Dennis